[Callers] What is a contra?

Donald Perley donperley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 05:13:25 PDT 2018

For my definition, key elements of a contra include:
1) repetition of a fairly short sequence of moves (typically 64 beats)
2) Whole and minor sets, couples progressing to a new minor set every
repetition.
3) The concept of dancing as part of a set more than couples or
individuals doing their own expression.

I'm waffling a bit on whether the form of the music (ie A and B parts)
should be included.  For tradition, I can search my collection for
"contradance" (or contradanze etc) and come
up lots of examples by Mozart etc in the same form we are used to today.