[Callers] What is a contra?

Bob Green bobgreen at swbell.net
Wed Jun 27 22:59:27 PDT 2018

An interesting question Colin. Certainly, as you suggest, modern contras,
at least in the U.S., are done with a walking step and often a buzz step
swing, with some occasional improve moves(clogging, clapping, dips, and
other forms of flourishes). In our region, a contra dance evening would
consist primarily longways dances for as many as will, with some
communities including squares, triplets, triads, four facing fours, and the
like, with others having a zero tolerance for anything other than longways
duple minors and four facing fours. At least here, if the call says, "Line
up for a contra." the default would be to line up longways, with the ones
crossed over.In our community, if the caller wanted some other formation,
it would have to be specified as something different than a contra - "Find
a partner for a square" , "Form 3-couple sets", etc. It's all about era and
location I think...Here is a reconstruction of a contra dance published in
1801....I would not recommend attempting to call this at a modern
contra.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8hLaGFdZ4

​ Bob Green
St. Louis

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Colin Hume via Callers <