[Callers] Does a 1/2 figure 8 and cast off exist in ECD? In Contra?

Michael Dyck jmdyck at ibiblio.org
Tue Jul 10 09:49:47 PDT 2018

On 2018-07-10 11:46 AM, Luke Donforth wrote:

> I'm not sure about prompting it as an all cast, since that implies the
> ladies facing back in after the move, and then casting out again. I was
> envisioning more of a swoop wide,

I was too! For me, that qualifies as a "cast".

See, e.g.
     https://round.soc.srcf.net/dances/elements#Cast
which indicates that you don't have to turn up + out if you're already
facing out or down. Or consider
     https://round.soc.srcf.net/dances/elements#Cross%20and%20Cast
where it doesn't say to face back in between the 'cross' and the 'cast'.

Mind you, that's ECD. I'm not sure what (if anything) a non-ECD contra crowd
would infer from the term "cast".

(It *could* work to have the ladies turn back in after the corner-crossing,
but only if there's time, which there typically wouldn't be in a contra
dance. Maybe an ECD to a slowish 3/4 tempo.)

Anyhow, the best wording will depend on what the dancers are used to, but my
guess is that you'll get better results by breaking the figure into a corner
trade + all move ccw rather than a half figure eight variant.

-Michael