[Callers] terminology in Sicilian Circle

Alan Winston winston at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 20 11:37:32 PDT 2017

In the 1980s in the SF Bay Area at English dances (which was where I saw
Sicilian Circles regularly) "opposite" was the term generally used.
Nowadays if I call an evening of longways dances and include one
Sicilian, if I say "opposite" I get a lot of blank looks, so I say
'neighbor' and the problem goes away.

"Opposite" seems like a self-descriptive term but if it's not getting
used elsewhere in the evening it's a speed bump.

-- Alan