[Callers] Gender Free MWSD

Aahz caller at aahz.ws
Sun Oct 8 08:07:20 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 08, 2017, Donna Hunt via Callers wrote:

>  Well, I'm not a MWSD caller, so I don't know what's involved, so if I
>  used the wrong words to describe it perhaps you can help.
>
> What I know is that the callers know where the dancers are after a
> figure (by definition of the figure) and then they know what figure
> to call next to build the dance.  They don't need to "see" where the
> dancers are in position unless things go wrong...and then our callers
> ask us to identify our roles and then the callers go about getting us
> out of the jam.  They are really quite talented.

It's not that you used the wrong words, it's that you don't understand
how calling works, and I'm specifically nitpicking your use of "should"
because that's a pet peeve of mine.

Yes, callers can and should be able to track the gender of dancers in
their head when they're calling, but it takes extra effort.  Talk to
sight callers who call for both gay clubs and straight clubs
(particularly straight clubs containing a high percentage of couples who
mostly dance together and wearing "traditional" square dance attire), and
they'll tell you it's way easier to call for the straight club.

(OTOH, calling for a straight club where they're all wearing club attire
can be even more difficult than calling for a gay club, even though it's
easy to identify each dancer's gender.)
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/