[Callers] "pick her up"

Dale Wilson dale.wilson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:36:09 PST 2017

If the dancers do the right thing (and have fun) when I say the words then
I'm calling it correctly.
If the dancers are confused or not having fun, then I am not calling it
correctly.
If I can use fewer words to call it correctly then I try to do so.

Sometimes my words are directed to the active couples, sometimes to the
inactives, sometimes to the gents, sometimes to the ladies, and of course
sometimes they apply to everybody.
Always they are intended to help the dancers enjoy themselves.

Getting back to the original question.

If I were to call "pick up your neighbor" and I observed the people
standing still somehow trying to "pick up" the person passing by in the
allemande, then I would change the words I use.  Until then, I use the
words that I "always" use and that the experienced dancers are used to
hearing.

And as for "courtesy turn", those two words are sufficient.  There is no
need  (and usually no time) to mention that one dancer is the turner and
the other the turnee.

Dale

--
There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation,
naming things, and off-by-one errors.