[Callers] "pick her up"

Grant Goodyear grant at grantgoodyear.org
Tue Nov 28 07:50:42 PST 2017

Lisa Greenleaf, once upon a time, suggested "scoop up your
partner/neighbor/whomever" as an evocative description for both a butterfly
whirl and a courtesy turn, so I've been using it for years with reasonable
success.

-Grant Goodyear-

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Ron Blechner via Callers <

> A quick question:
>
> How many callers believe that one role does the majority of the work in a
> courtesy turn or a butterfly whirl? If so, can you explain how the shared
> weight that differs from an allemande?
>
> I've always been taught about shared weight being essential in all contra
> moves, and I guess I'm still surprised when I hear callers prompt "pick her
> up and take her to the other side" as if the person in lady/raven role is
> not giving any weight. (Or similar one-role-biased prompting.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ron Blechner

Grant Goodyear
web: http://www.grantgoodyear.org