[Callers] Difficult dancers - Decision to ask not to return

Cara Sawyer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Mar 8 20:04:46 PST 2017

I wonder if anyone has considered assigning some more hindered dancers a
role that is not dancing? Could even make up roles for them. They could
help make sure sound is ok. Could help refill water. Could make sure
people's stuff isn't left. Other roles? Helping to set up. It wouldn't have
to be a real job, just something where they could feel welcomed and useful.
I think it's sad for someone to hear they are not welcome, and if they
could be 'reassigned,' something like "We feel you may create hazardous
circumstances on the dance floor both for you and for others, and in
addition we really need________ role filled. Could we recruit you?"

I did this in the after-school orchestra I used to lead, and though the
scenario is different it may still prove somewhat relevant. The orchestra's
goal was to get kids off the street, so turning them away could mean that
they ended up somewhere much less safe than with a violin. There were some
kids who just didn't fit in the box. One I recall was significantly
younger, and one was particularly advanced. One was really hyper-active and
sitting for an entire 1.5 hours was not a posability. I used their
abilities differently than I did the other kids, and they not only took
their roles very seriously, but added to the quality of the experience for
the other kids. It also provided a way for the other kids to see how being
out of the box could actually help them out.

That gives them an out and does not ostracize.

Just a thought maybe someone could use.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Rich Sbardella via Callers <

Cara V. Sawyer
M.M. French Horn
~~