[Callers] contras for modern square dancers

Greenleaf via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jul 19 07:17:57 PDT 2017

Hi Judy-

Here’s a helpful article written by Clark Baker, a MWSD caller and a contra dancer, and it explains contras and trad squares to MWSDers:
http://www.tiac.net/~mabaker/how-contra-dances-work.html

I dance both styles, and I’ve noticed a few big differences:

-MWSDers are not used to long contra swings (they usually just go 2 times around, commonly with an arm around the waist).  The longer contra swing = more centrifugal force, requiring good frame.  MWSDers often get dizzy.

-Contra dancers love their rhythmic balances; the balance is not often used in MWSD, and when it is, it’s usually in an Alamo Ring and pretty wimpy.  Not their fault!

-Phrasing: MWSDers dance to a beat, not a phrase.  So for them, a ladies chain takes 6 beats, not 8.  They will zip through a  move and stand there waiting for the next call at a contra dance.

-Contra dancing is more aerobic, even though MWSD is done to a faster beat (average contra is 117-121 bpm, depending on where you live; MWSD can be 128-132 bpm).

And a reminder to folks on this lest to be respectful of BOTH traditions.  I love ‘em and one isn’t better than the other!

Lisa Greenleaf