[Callers] Etiquette of refusing an offer to dance

Kalia Kliban kalia.kliban at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 12:09:42 PST 2017

  > Although I have occasionally heard of the "rule" that started this
> thread, I don't feel that people should ever be penalized for declining
> an offer to dance.
>
> Dale

Unfortunately, although the rule in question was well-intended, it did
lead to folks sometimes getting cornered by those they didn't want to
dance with, and they were then stuck sitting out.

What I'm hearing from the responses is that this rule is still lingering
in a vague, not-quite-stated-but-sort-of-assumed way in a lot of
dancers' heads.  The fact that it's persisting in some places but not
others, or in certain dancer demographics but not others _within the
same dance community_, means that we've got some conflicts brewing.  One
incident was mentioned already here by a dancer who was hurt to see
someone who had refused her offer then dancing with someone else.

The culture has shifted hugely, both in and out of the dance community,
since this rule was initially stated.  Might be time to address it
head-on rather than letting it lump and bump its way out.

Kalia