[Callers] Chains: the other side of the coin

Aahz via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Sep 4 15:27:56 PDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016, tavi merrill via Callers wrote:

> Despite the hours we spend workshopping the ladies' chain, we spend
> virtually no time collectively addressing how to teach gents' (left-handed)
> chains. As a consequence, male dancers miss out on opportunities to twirl;
> understanding of the importance of cues and flourish best-practices (as
> opposed to cranking ladies around) remains spotty; and some great dances*
> rarely get called.

Meh.  I think you've got part of a point, but as someone who gender-swaps
regularly (often within a single set), I find doing the reverse courtesy
turn way more difficult than doing a regular courtesy turn dancing raven.
And I'm also a heavy-duty twirler, both lark and raven.  And I'm usually
good about paying attention to whether someone wants to be twirled.

Probably I could learn the reverse courtesy turn, but I think you're
underestimating the difficulty.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/