[Callers] Contra friendly squares

James Saxe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Oct 14 14:55:42 PDT 2016

Here's a bit of advice, learned through hard experience.  If
you're learning to call squares to contra dancers--especially
in an area where squares have virtually disappeared from the
repertoire--beware that (un)familiarity can be a *huge* factor
in the effective difficulty of a bit of choreography.  Sometimes
it can seem as if the moment contra dancers get into square
formation, they get shot with an IQ-reducer ray.  But really
it's just a matter of dancers facing unfamiliar material and
being surrounded by other dancers to whom the material is equally
unfamiliar.  I'll give just a few examples involving the dances
Linda recommended.

> Virginia Reel Square
> by Ted Sannella
> Square/Easy
>
> A1 -----------
> 1st cpl down the center
> Swing opposite (back up to lines at the heads/sides)

At the end of A1 (with 1st couple leading), head dancers should
be near the #3 couple's place, so that, for example, the order
of dancers in the line of four to the caller's right is

    M2, W2, M3, W1

I once observed head dancers in a square adjacent to mine stepping
apart from the person they swung and attaching to either side of
the nearby side couple, so the order was instead

    M3, M2, W2, W1

(with the symmetric condition on the other side of the set).  The
result was that everything seemed to go well until the time came
for dancers to allemande corners and swing partners at home in
B2, at which point it became clear that people were somehow not
in the right position.  But it wasn't at all clear (to dancers in
that square) what had gone wrong.  As each couple led the figure,
they made the same mistake and experienced the same confusion
when the sequence was supposed to resolve.  [By the way, I think
Ted's timing has the actions Linda notes for B1 extending partway
into B2.]

> Texas Star
> by (Traditional)
> Square/Easy
> A2 ...
> Pass your P pick up the next Star Promenade

Some dancers may have a strong tendency to let go of the star
when they pick up their new partners.

> B1 -----------
> “Outsides in, and the Insides out”
> Gents back out and the ladies forward around you whirl (cw)
> ladies in the center and star promenade

Even more often, when women form their star, they will let go
of the men (and men will let go of the women), even if the
caller thought (s)he said very clearly that they were to keep
hold.

> Mittens for Three
> by Chris Ricciotti
> Square/Int
> B1 -----------
> Hey for four (o, r, corner)

I haven't called this dance (or danced it as far as I can
remember), but in a community where dancers have little
experience with squares, I wouldn't be surprised to see some
dancers getting confused about whether the heys go along
the sides or across the heads of the set as heads and sides
take turns leading the figure.

If you don't watch with an eagle eye for such glitches and
address them (or better, learn to prevent them) during the
walk-through, they may never cure themselves during the dance,
thus reinforcing opinions of dancers with negative attitudes
toward squares, leading to squares being called even less often
and becoming even less familiar, and so on in self-reinforcing
negative spiral.

--Jim