[Callers] Rates for private events (weddings etc)?

Alan Winston via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Mar 26 13:36:01 PDT 2016

First off, you're not charging for the number of minutes of dancing.
You're charging for your experience, expertise, and skill, showing up on
time and being ready to do it, waiting around as necessary, traveling if
needed, being mellow if (when) things go over and your time is cut, etc.

What are you being asked to deliver for your fee?  Are they booking
their own band and arranging their own sound?

For the wedding dance I just did in Berkeley - probably a comparable
market to NYC - they provided sound, I organized a band for them, each
band member and I were promised $300 for playing for the dance (and then
a more for playing in the ceremony and some incidental music).  They
actually paid me more than the agreed-upon amount, so I don't think they
thought I was gouging.,

For a friend's wedding I might work free.

If you want to be paid appropriately, state your price and don't waver.
If you want to get the gig regardless, ask them their budget and quote
less than that.

When asked to arrange musicians I make it clear that I can't quote
before I know who's available but state a range ($1000-$1500) and I also
ask their budget and then adjust the number of musicians (two good ones
is fine, three better) so we all get paid enough within their budget.

-- Alan