[Callers] Calling to a square dance crowd

Tom Hinds via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Feb 22 06:08:11 PST 2016

Joseph,

Everyone's given you great advice.

If I were doing this I would use music that they're more used to for
the first evening.  And I'd use dances that they can more easily
relate to (see below).  That might make for a easier transition and
more acceptance (and therefore more enjoyment).

I don't know about now but at one time there was a western contra
dance movement.  I'm sure the dances they used would be perfect for
your group.  One source for material is a book on contras put out by
Sets in Order.  You want my copy?  And Don Armstrong put out a
collection of dances.  Sorry I don't recall the name of the book.  I
think a good number of the dances in both collections have no or
little swinging and also include many of the moves they are familiar
with like flutterwheel etc.  Maybe google western contra.

As far as I can tell the music they use(d) is recorded but phrased
farily well.

Tom