[Callers] Medleys

Bob Stein via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Apr 17 12:37:08 PDT 2016

A contra medley is a string of several different dances with no breaks and no walk throughs.  This idea was pioneered by Susan Elberger and the first was done, I believe, at the New England Folk Festival (NEFFA) weekend in April 1984.   These sessions proved very popular there.  Indeed, it is necessary for the callers to be easily heard and the sound people have to adjust so that occurs.   The challenge, like that in MWSD, is thinking and reacting quickly to new situations.   One of the best medleys I danced had each dance being done only twice, so things changed all the time.  But, even messing up in a medley can be fun.  I remember one medley at NEFFA where one of the middle callers was so faint we could not hear what they were saying.   So the entire room made sure to do something and progress each time through the music and were ready when the next caller started and we knew what to do.   It was a blast.

Bob