[Callers] Medleys

Jonathan Sivier via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Apr 17 11:18:40 PDT 2016

    That would be medley of tunes during the course of a single dance.
Some bands do this all the time, some occasionally and some never.  I
think what is being discussed here is a medley of dances (the figures),
which may or may not include a change of tunes.  Typically the caller
will select a small set of dances, say 3, and call each of them a few
times before switching to the next dance.  If you coordinate with the
band you can have them change tunes at the same time you change to a
different dance.  Sometimes you will return to the initial dance at the
end to finish out the medley.

    As has been mentioned this means that the dancers need to be
listening because the dance will change and they can't zone out as is
sometimes the case.  So if the caller can't be heard clearly this can be
a problem.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, Square, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!