[Callers] Rolling Starts?

Yoyo Zhou via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Oct 2 12:44:23 PDT 2015

Lindsey's response is so good I almost didn't have anything to add. I'll
say though that the most important thing is communication. Ideally you'd
arrange things beforehand, but I can only speak about the surprise
situation, where the band can't put down their instruments, which has
happened to me.

Listen to the music and know where the phrases are. You'll want to make
sure the band knows when you're starting for reals. Whatever you do, make
it really obvious. So make eye contact, gesticulate, and get an
acknowledgement just before you begin. You could break the illusion a
little by saying, "the dance starts here with..." but I wouldn't consider
that enough by itself to cue the band. Even more illusion-breaking: at the
appropriate place in the music, you could even give the band potatoes: "5,
6, balance now".

It's not a big deal though if the first swing happens to be 20 counts long
or something. Tell the dancers to keep swinging, etc. I find it's easier to
adjust the dancers to fit the music.

Now of course if you really want to break it up, you can tell the band to
knock it off, perhaps if you're teaching something intricate and need the
dancers' full attention. It's a bit of a letdown but maybe better than
crashing later. Be apologetic.

I think dances that might work especially well, for when you want to plan a
rolling start in advance, are those that have an unusual starting position
that is slightly disorienting to go back to, so that it's easier to just
carry on. I'm thinking of Chuck the Budgie and other such Rick Mohr dances.

Yoyo Zhou