[Callers] Rolling Starts?

Mary Collins via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Oct 2 12:23:41 PDT 2015

Wow Lindsey! this is extremely well thought out, articulated and verrrrryyy
helpful! As a very fledgling caller I had formulated these questions that
you have so graciously answered without my having to ask.  Thank you.  A
lot of good help here, I am printing them off to put into my tips and
training notes!

Every one has wonderful helpful ideas and tips too!  Thank  you to all the
callers that participate here!

Mary

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Lindsey Dono via Callers <

> Hi Maia,
>
> I agree with everything Jack and Dave wrote! Successful rolling starts
> have comprised some of my most memorable dancing moments, so I'm always
> seeking opportunities to work on them as a caller. Some more thoughts:
>
> -Preplanned vs spontaneous rolling starts. When I decided to start working
> on rolling starts, I preplanned with a band that I knew loved them. We
> discussed: timing, signaling, what to do if things failed to sync or fell
> apart. To my total delight, both rolling starts worked. My next rolling
> start was a surprise to me- the band just jumped in behind me! Some bands
> can and love to do this. Some callers love this, others don't. I've stopped
> bands from vamping behind me if I knew I had a lot of explaining to do.
>
> -Working with a band comfortable with rolling starts and comfortable with
> you. I've only tried rolling starts with well-established bands; I've never
> taught a band how to do a rolling start (trying to work on this now,
> actually). Consider first exploring them with bands that you've seen
> execute rolling starts. These bands often have a caller in them (ie Dave).
> Several musicians I've asked have expressed a dislike of rolling starts, so
> don't take it personally if you're turned down. Also, there are several
> style of rolling starts, so make sure that you and the band define what
> you're aiming for.
>
> -Picking the right dance. If it's easy enough to call as a no walkthrough,
> why bother with a rolling start? Conversely, if it's complicated enough to
> deserve two full walkthroughs with complete attention, probably not a great
> choice either. I look for a dance that has a clear A1 (for the called
> potatoes, as Jack suggests, and for clueing the band in), and just one or
> two "teaching points." This teaching point depends on the crowd; it could
> be something such as a left diagonal move or a fractional hey. This allows
> me to start the walkthrough in dance time, with, say, a neighbor balance
> and swing, pause the action while dancers identify their left diagonal next
> neighbors, and then resume the walkthrough at dance pace. If needed, I'll
> wait an extra eight beats for people to complete moves on the first
> walkthrough. Once the dance is "rolling" at dance tempo, you'll need to
> make sure that you and the band are synced. This very much depends on the
> band:
>
> -Signaling. There are lots of options here; find out what your band likes.
> What I've done in the past: I tell them what my B2/A1 moves are, line
> dancers up, and let the band start vamping. Once there is an established
> groove, I focus on the dancers and face away from the band vamping behind
> me. Then, when approaching the A1 at "go time," I turn to the band (making
> sure I have my mic in my hand, not on the stand- may have forgotten that
> once!), make eye contact, and with deliberation, bounce on the potatoes
> [...]

“Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass ... it's about learning
to dance in the rain!” ~ Unknown