[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Tom Hinds via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jun 24 06:32:52 PDT 2015

On Jun 24, 2015, at 2:14 AM, Aahz Maruch via Callers wrote:

> And the fact that many people teaching newcomers concentrate more on
> things like R&L Thru than swing makes me suspect I'm not alone in my
> perception.

You're definitely not alone.  Aahz, each of us has a different system
for calling.  I find many of these discussions a little meaningless
because we are talking about specific issues in isolation.  It's all
the other details......

Some of us would never present for the first time a right and left
through and a ladies chain in the same contra or square (or
workshop).   With that said it's possible that callers are
introducing moves in a way that's harder rather than easier.

Try teaching the chain in the newbie workshop and have them use it in
one or two contras or better yet a contra and a square.  The right
and left through is much easier learned after they dance a ladies
chain.  When I first introduce the right and left through, the
courtesy turn is done with one's neighbor, not partner.  I don't seem
to recall it ever being hard for them to get.  Sure, put it in the
first dance and it's going to be tough and sure, there are some
directionally challenged people who'll struggle no matter what you do.

My question to you and the others is do you teach the right and left
through with words or do you demo it?  Could make a big difference.