[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jun 23 23:14:02 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015, Tom Hinds wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Aahz Maruch via Callers wrote:
>>
>>With Ladies Chain, two dancers change places.  If they fail to execute
>>that part, it's likely that the progression will get affected.  That's
>>probably not going to happen with a swing that ends up with the dancers
>>sashayed or otherwise in the wrong place.
>
> Aajz, I'm glad you pointed out that you're not calling much.  There are some
> other situations you might not have observed yet.  How about:

Note that I've been dancing contra *and* MWSD *and* IFD for more than a
quarter-century each (plus bits and pieces of ECD and Regency and ballet
and other dance forms).  I have a lot of observations and a lot of
opinions from that.  You might also note that I wrote my dance RAQ more
than a decade before I ever began calling, and my minimal contra plus
two years of MWSD calling haven't changed my opinions much:

http://rule6.info/dance_raq.html

> -the combination, swing neighbor, right and left through.  Let's assume a
> caller spends a great deal of time teaching the right and left through but
> little time on a swing.  If the dancers end the swing sashayed what happens
> just before the right and left through?   Confusion maybe?
>
> -there's a neighbor swing at the end of the tune.  The beginning of the
> dance starts with an allemande or swing or some other move with a new
> neighbor.  How confusing is it for the beginners (and frustrating for the
> others) when they end the swing wrong?
>
> I teach my beginning callers this:  If you don't get the newbies to
> correctly end a swing, the caller, the newbies and everyone else will be
> frustrated at various points during the evening.

That's true, but my observation is that people doing the wrong thing for
R&L Thru causes more breakdowns than people ending the swing on the
wrong side.  Quite possibly other people have different data points on
this subject, but I think I've got a long enough baseline to make my
opinion reasonable.

And the fact that many people teaching newcomers concentrate more on
things like R&L Thru than swing makes me suspect I'm not alone in my
perception.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/