[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Tom Hinds via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 21 08:53:54 PDT 2015

Thank you for letting me know about the date of my computer.

On Jun 21, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Aahz Maruch via Callers wrote:
> With Ladies Chain, two dancers change places.  If they fail to execute
> that part, it's likely that the progression will get affected.  That's
> probably not going to happen with a swing that ends up with the
> dancers sashayed or otherwise in the wrong place.

Aajz, I'm glad you pointed out that you're not calling much.  There
are some other situations you might not have observed yet.  How about:

-the combination, swing neighbor, right and left through.  Let's
assume a caller spends a great deal of time teaching the right and
left through but little time on a swing.  If the dancers end the
swing sashayed what happens just before the right and left through?
Confusion maybe?

-there's a neighbor swing at the end of the tune.  The beginning of
the dance starts with an allemande or swing or some other move with a
new neighbor.  How confusing is it for the beginners (and frustrating
for the others) when they end the swing wrong?

I teach my beginning callers this:  If you don't get the newbies to
correctly end a swing, the caller, the newbies and everyone else will
be frustrated at various points during the evening.