[Callers] Help for a caller

Delia Clark via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jul 14 20:46:40 PDT 2015

If she has any budget at all, I really recommend the New England Dancing Masters books:  http://www.amidonmusic.com/books-cds-store/new-england-dancing-masters <http://www.amidonmusic.com/books-cds-store/new-england-dancing-masters> which I learned about from David Millstone.
I especially like Chimes of Dunkirk and Sashay the Donut. They’re FULL of the kinds of dances she’s looking for!

> On Jul 14, 2015, at 6:34 PM, Cary Ravitz via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
> I received this note a couple of days ago. I am not qualified to answer it, but I know there are many people here who could help. I gave her a limited response and offered to help her out with SharedWeight - she asked me to post here for her. You can email her directly or I will forward any posted responses. Thanks, Cary Ravitz
>
> "
> My name is Sr. Mary Joseph and I am Catholic Sister who is very new at calling dances.  I'm not sure if the dances I do know are even contras technically.  I am pretty much working with the families who come here to Mass and am looking to add to the ten or so dances that they already know.  Here are a few of our dances.
>
> -The Virginia Reel
> - The Bridge of Athlone
> - Heel & Toe Polka
> - Oh Suzanna
>
> I have had success learning dances off a few YouTube videos especially the set from Mark Geslison and Geoff Groberg.  I have a very hard time deciphering dances that are simply written out on some web sites.   If I knew the jargon a little better, I'm sure that would be a huge resourse.  Right now, I think I need to see it.
>
> Because you have a much better idea about the world of contra dancing/ folk dancing than I do, I was hoping you could point me in the right direction.  Do you know of any websites that have lots of videos of the dances?  I could probably invest in a set of DVD's if I new it was going to be helpful.  Is there someone I could call with my questions?
>
> I unfortunately do not have much time to dedicate to developing this skill, but I figure a little improvement would be better than none.  Thank you for your time.  May God bless you.
> "
>
> Sister Mary Joseph <smjmicm2004 at gmail.com <mailto:smjmicm2004 at gmail.com>>
>
> --
> Cary Ravitz