[Callers] Contras with a Hey

David A Kaynor via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Dec 8 11:10:39 PST 2015

Hi Folks,

A longtime lurker leaps in:

Below:  Two fairly easy Becket formation dances which present a full hay for four following a full ladies’ chain … a useful sequence from a pedagogical standpoint, in my opinion.

First, Peter Stix’s “Purple Hays” (Becket formation)

A1:  Ladies chain (over and back)

A2:  Hay for four (over and back)

B1:  Ladies 1/2 [your politically/socially acceptable term for “gypsy”];
        swing partner

B2:  1/2 right and left; circle left 1/2 to original Becket home; with partner, slide left.

Here are Peter’s A parts followed by different B parts (Lindsey Dono told me that a dancer suggested this dance be called “Busy Bees”)

A1:  Ladies chain (over and back)

A2:  Hay for four (over and back)

B1:  with Partner, balance and swing

B2:  long lines forward & back; circle left (all the way around); with partner, shift left to new neighbors.

Note:  On paper, there isn’t sufficient time for all of B2.  However, in actual practice, the transition from the circle and shift to the ladies’ chain is forgiving enough for things to flow well.

I believe my B parts to be a little easier for bringing newcomers along.  To my knowledge, no contra prior to “Purple Hays” used this sequence of A parts.