[Callers] Contra- roll differences?

Rich Sbardella via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Aug 23 07:50:26 PDT 2015

>From a MWSD perspective, Half Sashayed means that the dancers are in
opposite rolls.  The call rollaway with/to a half sachay is now
discouraged, but it most often put the ladies on the man's left, thus they
were half sashayed.  Today, as all position dance and dance by definition,
are commom MWSD terms the rollaway to a half sashay no longer works, but
 that is the root of the confusion.
Acommon break sequence is

A1  Four ladies chain (8), Rollaway(4) and circle left (4)
A2  Four ladies rollaway (4) Circle left (4),  Allemande Left
B1  R&L Grande (10), Dosiso (6)
B2  Promenade (16)

At the end of A1, the men have rotated 1/4 around the square, at the end of
A2, men have rotated 1/2.  The R&L Grande brings them back to home for a
full promenade.  The men are essentially stationary during the rollaway,
and move on the two circle left commands.

Half Sashay (4) is usually called to accomplish the role switch when it is
not a circle formation to begin.  The sequence of Heads, R&L thru, Heads
Half Sashay, Heads Star Thru leaves the heads in the center of the square
facing their corner.  This "half sashay"  call requires the men to slide to
the right as the lady moves forward, slides left, and backs up.

The call "rollaway with a half sashay' is redundant effectively restoring
dancers to their original position.  That is the reason it's use is
discouraged and being discontinued.

Rich
Stafford Springs, CT

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Don Veino via Callers <