[Callers] Difficulty rankings?

Alan Winston via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Apr 19 13:27:21 PDT 2015

Maia --

While you can assign a level of difficulty of dances in isolation, it
doesn't really tell you the whole story.  Whatever intrinsic difficulty
the dance possesses interacts with what the floor can do right now and
what the caller can put across. A dance that's easy right after the
break might have been fatally difficult as an opener.
A floor of relatively fit dancers with some level of experience and no
hearing impairment can do things easily that others can't do at all.

A caller can make any dance difficult, and a caller can put across an
intrinsically more difficult dance with clarity, confidence, and precise
prompting.  So some of that suitability of dance to crowd has to deal
with the state of the caller.  This makes it hard to write down a rating
on a card that's going to have meaning when you use it.

So what makes a dance easy, intrinsically?
  - strong flow
  - Low piece count
  - few or no fractions (some people can't hear, don't process, or won't
do the "and a half" part of 1 and 1/2;
     this is recoverable if the next thing is partner swing but bad news
if you need to do something else right
     away)
  - no action outside the minor set
  - clear progression
  - symmetry (because if the roles are the same there's less confusion
at the ends)
  - recovery point(s); moment of poise
  - sticking with your partner
  - straightforward end effects
  - familiar figures or figures that you can get without drill

When I'm calling for a dance society dance where I have a strong
expectation that there'll be enough people for satisfactory longways
contras through the whole evening and there'll be more experienced
people than beginners and I know the strengths of the band, I make up a
program with what I think is increasing intrinsic difficulty, figure
variety, etc, maybe building up to a medley with all figures in it
handled earlier in the evening if the organizers like medleys, cruising
down to a satisfying low-piece-count strong-flow dance as a finish.  (If
it's an old-timey band that doesn't phrase strongly - some do - I try to
avoid dances that need tight timing; mushy Petronellas are annoying.)

But if it's something where I can't get a good read beforehand on
attendance, I have a file of easier contras and a file of harder contras
on my tablet computers and while this dance is running I'm flicking
through the file and picking the next dance based on my current read of
the floor, what figures they know already, what I now think the band can
do, etc.

(You could just have twenty dances memorized and have all the bases
covered, but I like to have a bunch of different choices for the same
niches so that I stay out of the rut of only calling the same twenty
dances in front of the same people, since people dance gypsy all over
Northern California and you'll see the same ones 150 miles apart.)

As you can guess, I don't have a quantified difficulty scale for
dances.  I might mark "good opener", and I throw them into the "easier"
or "harder" piles.  I don't find it worth doing more than that because
so much of the perceived difficulty is contextual rathe than intrinsic.

-- Alan