[Callers] Difficulty rankings?

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Apr 19 21:15:55 PDT 2015

Some things that I think make dances easy are:

1) Stay within your minor set. Even easy appearing dances that leave
your minor set add a challenge that is often confusing. It's can (I
think) be slightly less confusing to do a simple double progression than
leave and return to a minor set.

2) Use those plain English calls: ones that we understand without having
to learn a figure: circle left, right-hand turn, swing your partner.
Lines forward and back. Most people in my neck of the world (Coastal
California) know Do Si Do...

3) A good story line. Getting into dances somewhat experienced contra
dancers find easy: A good story line. A dance built in a way that flows
in a way that fits into our concept of what comes next. This concept is
a bit more mystical. It's easy to identify these dances: you can stop
calling. A dance can have a lot of parts, but somehow fit easily into
our brains and movements.

The things Alan mentions below are all worthy of consideration, too, as
are Larry Jennings' discussion in /Zesty Contras/, as well as his
rankings and marks in his transcriptions are worth looking at again, and
then again.

~erik hoffman
     oakland, ca