[Musicians] Learning/sharing/remembering rhythms

Erik Hoffman via Musicians musicians at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Feb 24 00:31:50 PST 2017

Hi Max & All,

Interesting that you learned the 3-3-2 rhythm as Klezmer.

- Klezmer rhythm (123-123-12)

So many of the people I've studied from say the 3-3-2 came from Africa. It has invaded many other genres. When I first learned about it (other than the clave), it came at me three times in one year:
   * A bunch of fiddle bowings used in Old-Time Appalachian tunes (highly slave influenced)
   * A doumbek rhythm (an Arabic drum)
   * In hamboning--body rhythm with African roots, from when slaves had their drums taken away.
__

Erik Hoffman
Oakland, CA