[Callers] What can you do.....?

Richard Fischer richardallenfischer at verizon.net
Sun Sep 29 16:57:14 PDT 2019

One thing I included in beginner sessions was an explanation that (for example) "allemande right one time" could have two different meanings. I'd demo it once, beginning facing the dancer I was turning with, and ending exactly in that same position. I'd have everyone try that. Then I'd explain that often allemande (or dosido) once was used to interact with a person but return to another person. I'd demo that, and they'd try it. It didn't take long, the participants seemed to appreciate it, and I promised I'd remember to tell them which "one time" we were doing during the dances. The same is true for "once and a half" of course. The wonderful mixer Nervous Breakdown starts with four "once and a half" figures that each send you on to a new person. It could be a good lesson on momentum, flow and timing.

Richard Fischer
Princeton, NJ