[Callers] What can you do.....?

jim saxe jim.saxe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 14:41:10 PDT 2019

Becky Liddle via Callers wrote:

> What was helpful to me to begin to feel/notice flow were comments from the caller during the walk-thru that primed me to pay attention to flow: things like “when we dance this to music, you’ll notice that your momentum from the ___ move carries you right into the ___ move, so you naturally know which direction to move." ...

When a caller wants to make the sort of comment Becky os suggesting, I think it's generally best to do it as close as practical to the moment when dancers are walking through the figure or transition the caller under discussion.  FOr one thing it's likely to be easier for people to picture thr action that they're doing or that they just did than it is to remember something from several moves ago or to imagine some verbally-described future action starting from some future position.  For another thing, some dancers seem to have a strong tendency to tune out as soon as they sense that a caller is talking in declarative sentences about a past or future situation rather than imperative sentences about what to do right now.  And sentences of the form "When you get to the part where blah-blah-blah, remember that blah-blah-blah", while technically imperative, might as well be declarative ("..., you will need to remember ...").

--Jim