[Callers] Empowering people to say "Yes" while also empowering them to say "No"

Angela DeCarlis aedecarlis at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 07:40:23 PDT 2019

I've noticed that in a lot of community discussion, matters of safety are
getting confused for and mixed together with issues which I would call
Community Norms.

Empowering folks to decline things (or people) which make them
uncomfortable is a matter of Safety. Maia brings up some awesome points
that some dancers have extended this power to a place where they decline
dances for more trivial (at best---discriminatory at worst) reasons. This
is where Community Norms come in.

Established members of any community have the power to lead by example,
just as Maia describes doing in her communities. Things which can be
prioritized and demonstrated by a community include anything which might be
cited as aspects of an individual community's *culture*: don't talk over
the caller; applaud loudly for the performers; ask new people to dance;
dance in both roles; ask before you flourish; etc.

It's easiest to influence a dance's culture in newer communities. Portland
Intown Contra Dance in Maine is my favorite dance because, right off the
bat, they made a lot of important things the priority of the *community*,
not of the individuals which make up the community.

It's important to emphasize the difference between cultural priorities
(Community Norms) and matters of Safety. The latter must and should always
be reinforced verbally, and while the former can be explained verbally, I
think these things are easier (and more important!) to express by example.

Ultimately, the concern here is that lumping everything into the same
category devalues the things which are important to a dancer's safety.

Angela

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019, 9:07 PM Maia McCormick via Callers <