[Callers] Using music in beginner session

Woody Lane woody at woodylane.com
Fri Sep 13 13:20:20 PDT 2019

Hi Ken,

Actually, not in a line. I start with all the dancers in a circle (I'm
in the center so I can easily be seen and heard, even with a wireless
mic). They work with their partner for moves like the allemandes,
dos-i-do, gypsy (or whatever I call it), swing (walking swing), balance
& swing, etc.

Then I get them into groups of 4 (two couples). Again, the foursomes are
in a circle around me so they can see and hear me. That's when we do the
various moves needed for contra dancing -- circle L (and R), circle 3/4,
circle 1/2, courtesy turns, pass through, R&L through, ladies chain,
1/2-hey, full hey. Maybe the petronella turn and/or star, depending on
the group and my program. Then I ask the musicians to play a tune and
hash call many of these moves, as I outlined previously. There are some
other details in there during this session, but that gives you the gist.
Oh yes, at the very end, I bring the newcomers together in a close
huddle, off mic, to talk about some of the conventions of contra dancing
(partnering, feeling safe, refusing a request, whom to notify for
problems, etc.)

I don't get them into lines. I don't worry about their learning about
lines or progression during the lesson. I know I can teach that easily
at the beginning of the first contra, when the entire room is lined up
so we flow directly into the first real dance.

Woody