[Callers] Using music in the pre-dance lesson

John Sweeney john at modernjive.com
Tue Sep 10 13:41:07 PDT 2019

The only thing I focus on with respect to music is getting them to hear the
eights and be ready for the next "one".

So, if there is a band they can play anything. If there isn't I play an mp3
file at 115 to 120bpm on my deck.  Failing that I just count.

Having circled left and right and gone into the middle and back, and talked
about connection, I always spend most of the time on the swing.

At a contra dance evening you will spend about thirty minutes swinging.
When dancing dances with a partner swing and a neighbour swing, you will, on
average, do a swing every 15 seconds.  So I always spend most of the time on
the swing.  Then [Circle Left, Into the Middle & Back (with a stamp on four
so that they get used to working with the music ready for Long Lines Go
Forward & Back), Swing your Neighbour]. Repeat until they finish the swings
on time and facing the middle, getting lots of practice with new neighbours.

            Happy dancing,
                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802
940 574