[Callers] Caller's monitor question

JD Erskine island.dance at shaw.ca
Sat May 12 09:55:14 PDT 2018

Hullo Jeremy,

1. Hit up the Contra Sound Forum for advice. Callers are nicely
tolerated, actually welcomed. A great place to ask about such things as
monitors, wireless mics, etc. from sound engineers whether pro or super
experienced amateurs.

2. Bob Mills book All Mixed Up is a fab resource for understanding many
sound reinforcement tasks. It is, by design, comprehensive enough yet
basic, so may not address every nuance one is interested in. Great place
to start though.

http://bobmills.org/amu/

One might search it (or any other site) using https://duckduckgo.com/ by
entering such as:

monitors site:bobmills.org/amu/

3. My experience regarding monitors is the band does not wish to hear
the caller. Not in _their_ monitor(s) at any rate (why you picked up
your own no doubt.) So, even with a separate one why should they get
blasted by that of the caller?

So consider a position that directs it toward one, away from the bulk of
the band. That may be sideways, up, or both. Elevated monitors generally
work better than on the floor, esp. for the type of sound/information
we're delivering and monitoring.

4. The biggest help I see a monitor for, is to keep the excitable caller
from getting too loud, (you know, when trying to "drag" that one dancer
or couple around the set. <grin>)

It also can help keep one from unintentionally becoming too quiet. Other
than for those purposes I can get by without one, at least for the sake
of simplicity. They are nice.

Pushed on the subject I'd rather have a wireless mic.

I suppose as hearing myself in the monitor is no guarantee of what I
sound like in the house.

Cheers, John
--
J.D. Erskine