[Callers] Contras with square dance figures

Mark Hillegonds mark.hillegonds at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 13:23:25 PDT 2018

Hi, Rachel,

Below that are four contras with box circulates:

*24th of October*
by Don Lennartson
Contra/Becket-CW/Int

A1 -----------
(8)  LL F & B
(8)  Ladies chain (to Neighbor)
A2 -----------
(8)  LH star 1x
(8)  (W/ next) Neighbor alle R 1+1/2 (to long waves, G face in, L out)
B1 -----------
(4,4)  Waves balance,     Circulate (G cross, L loop)
(4,4)  Waves balance,     Circulate (L cross, G loop)
B2 -----------
(4,4)  Waves balance,     Circulate (G cross, L loop)
(8)  Partner swing

*Du Quoin Races*
by Orace Johnson
Contra/Becket-CW/Int

A1 -----------
(4,4) Rings balance,    Pass through to a wave
(4,4) Waves balance,    Partner alle R 3/4 (to long waves, G face out, L
face in)
A2 -----------
(4,4) Waves balance,    Box circulate (Ladies cross, Gents loop R)
(4,4) Waves balance,    Box circulate (Gents cross, Ladies loop R)
B1 -----------
(8) Partner swing (on same side as started on)
(4,4) Circle L 1/2,     Neighbor roll away (across) with half sashay
B2 -----------
(4,4) Circle L 1/2,     Partner roll away (along) with half sashay
(4,4) Circle L 1/2,     Slide L (to face new Neighbors)

*Pecan Pie*
by Jim Hemphill
Contra/Proper/Int

A1 -----------
(8) Neighbor DSD to wave across (Same gender N in RH)
(4,4) Wave balance R & L,    Neighbor alle R 3/4 (to long waves)
A2 -----------
(4,4) Long waves balance R and back,    Box circulate (people facing in
cross to P)
(8) Partner swing
B1 -----------
(8,8) Circle L 3/4,     Neighbor swing
B2 -----------
(4,4) Partner RH balance,     Box the Gnat
(8) 2s swing  (2s face up, 1s face down)

*Waving Wheat*
by Dotty Welch
Contra/Improper/Easy-Int

A1 -----------
(8) Neighbor do si do to wave across (Neighbor RH, Ladies LH)
(8) Wave balance R & L,     Neighbor alle R 3/4 (to long waves, Gents OUT,
Ladies IN)
A2 -----------
(8) Long waves balance F & B,     Box circulate (Ladies cross, Gents loop R)
(8) Partner swing (on Gent’s side)
B1 -----------
(8) LL F & B
(8) R & L thru
B2 -----------
(8) Circle L 1-1/4 (FAST, to home)
(8) 2s arch, 1s duck thru, all forward to next Neighbor

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 3:51 PM Rachel Shapiro via Callers <

> Hi all,
> I'm in search of contras that have borrowed interesting figures from
> traditional and modern western square dances. Do you have any favorites
> you're willing to share? I've got Rang Tang Contra and some dances with
> Dixie Twirls. Lots with Box the Gnat and Swat the Flea. Any others you love?
> Thank you!
> Rachel Shapiro Wallace

*Mark Hillegonds*

Cell:  734-756-8441