[Callers] Wrist-Lock Stars

Louise Siddons via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 10 14:25:44 PDT 2016

Here in Oklahoma I call it a wagon-wheel grip, but I think I picked up that term in either Michigan or California when I was starting to dance contra circa 2008. Wagon-wheel stars are the default in OK/TX/KS/MO local dances, and also seem standard in the SF Bay Area.

When I teach a star in a room with a lot of new dancers, I say “our convention here is to make a wagon-wheel in the middle — your hand should be on the wrist of the person in front of you.” Our intro workshops usually speak to the question of grip (nothing the other person can’t get out of wordlessly without injury, please), so we don’t generally get people who are gripping tightly.

Incidentally, I enjoy the wagon wheel as a moment when experienced dancers can help new dancers have an “ah ha!” moment without disrupting my teaching. It’s a neat opportunity to introduce the concept of dancers being able to learn details of technique from each other, which I hope then continues throughout the evening.

Louise
(Stillwater, OK)