[Callers] Rates for private events (weddings etc)?

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Mar 26 17:16:29 PDT 2016

It would be good if, as you reply, you say where you’re from. Quite clearly the cost of a wedding in NYC or the SF Bay Area might be more than in Missoula, MT. Still:

Musicians tend to undercharge. I’m no exception. I love what I do, and can be a pushover on price. With that said: we tend to underrate our business. This is probably because most of us don’t do it as a business, but as a vocation for which we at times get paid.

If you’ve ever booked Wild Asparagus, you know that George books dances as a business. You might think he’s trying to wring every last dollar out of you, but, this is their primary source of income, and they’ve done a fantastic job of building they’re reputation—their “brand”—and now ask for what they know they deserve.

Jay Ungar once told me that he knows all the caterers in the Hudson Valley. When he negotiates a price he tries to find out who the caterer is. If it’s a $500 a plate business, he charges accordingly. If it’s a point-person organizing the pot-luck, again, if he wants the gig, he suggest a much lower fee.

Right after I moved to the Bay Area, I got a call about gig, a fund-raiser for a school. Every school I’d ever done such an event for was scrounging for any extra money they could make. I said, “we like to make $200 a person.” “OK, that’s fine,” was the immediate response. That seemed strange. It wasn’t until after the gig that I understood the Head Royce School in Oakland is a private school for the CEO types. It was one of the more interesting gigs—though it was also one where it was clear we were the servants, and should keep to our little corner, play music, and, perhaps get a few people dancing… The interest was just in watching the uber-rich of the 90s in Oakland do their thing.

So this note is a strong suggestion: don’t undercharge. You may feel (as I do) that charging $1500 for three of us to play music is a lot, as I do. But often it’s still one of the least expensive thing on the budget. Well, hall rent might be only $500 to $1000, but the rest of many of these types of things can run into the thousands. And, don’t be afraid to compare to other types of service performers: Call a wedding band and ask what they charge—it’s usually a lot more than what we charge. If you’re doing it solo with recordings, call a wedding DJ and find out what they charge.

~erik Hoffman

    oakland, ca

I charge $150 for a wedding and $50 more if alcohol is served.
JoLaine