[Callers] New dance?

Amy Wimmer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Mar 26 12:59:26 PDT 2016

While preparing to teach the beginners' session for tonight's dance in
Olympia, WA, I jotted down several figures I could teach that would be
simple enough, flow reasonably well and get them dancing. I looked at
my list and said, "Huh! This looks like an actual dance." I was
missing one figure to complete it. Today, while waiting for our caucus
to begin, I decided on the final figure. My caller/musician friend,
Valerie Cohen, who was sitting next to us, said I should call it the
Caucus Shuffle. I said I was planning to call it "Feelin' the Bern,"
to which she responded, "Then it should progress left." You're
welcome.

I think the dance works whether one starts at A1 or A2. Starting at A2
would end with a partner swing, which is always nice at the end of the
evening.

At any rate, here's the dance. My questions are, 1) does this already
exist? and 2) do you see any major problems with it?

Feelin' the Bern
Becket, improper contra

A1 Partner swing (16)
A2 Long lines forward and back (8)
  Mad robin (ladies go in front) (8)
B1 Circle right 3 places (~8)
  New neighbors star right (8)
B2 Neighbor allemande right (8)
  Half hey (gents pass left), ladies ricochet (8)

-Amy

P.S. I'm going to call it tonight, but not for the beginner session.
I'll start by having everyone shuffle, single-file, around the oval of
the set, until they return to where they started.