[Callers] Grand Square in a contra?

Luke Donforth via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 30 14:05:45 PDT 2016

Hi Folks,

Several years ago (2013?) while at the fabulous DEFFA festival in Maine, I
danced a contra that had a grand square. I think it was on the diagonal.

But that's about all I remember about it.

Anyone know the dance? Or can give me more of a lead like the caller or
such?

I don't think it was a 4x4. I'm not sure if it had the full 16 beats one
way, then reverse and 16 beats the other way; because that'd be half the
dance...

Now that I'm thinking about it, as a 4x4 with a full grand square and still
following somewhat typical 4x4 conventions:

A1
Lines of 4 go forward and back
Corner Swing
A2
Grand Square: Heads start forward, sides split
B1
Reverse: sides start forward, heads split
B2

   - Option 1: Heads pass straight through, sides pass straight through;
   find partner
   - Option 2: Pass new corner right, next left; find partner
   - Option 3: Gents left hand star promenade with corner, ladies go ~1/2,
   turn back to partner

partner swing, face line of direction

I'm now really confident it wasn't a 4x4 contra, but I still don't remember
what it was. Any help would be appreciated.

If I can't find it I may try it as a 4x4, but it seems like you'd be
further ahead with a simple square to have a little more variety than just
grand square and two swings...

Thanks.

--
Luke Donforth