[Callers] Calling to a square dance crowd

Chris Page via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Feb 21 00:19:26 PST 2016

I'd really recommend talking to the organizers. And possibly watching one
of their normal events.

Here's some of my thoughts on potential biggies:

-You and the band will likely need to supply and run your own sound system.

-Many people will likely keep the same partner throughout the evening.

-The expected flow of the evening is very different -- typically they're
used to doing two dances with the same partner of about 6-10 (?) minutes,
and then a rest break. Potentially involving snacks. Rinse and repeat.

-Swings are neither expected nor required. Without further instruction,
they'll go just once around, twirl, and stop.

-Be very careful about too much consecutive clockwise motion.

-You may have to adjust for the age level of the group. In general, MWSD
groups tend to be older.

-They're really not used to hearing the phrase of the music.

-Dropping out the calls may be traumatic for some.

-Contra is much more aerobic than squares.

Good luck,
-Chris Page
San Diego, CA

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Joseph Erhard-Hudson via Callers <