[Callers] Role Scramblers dances with balances

Aahz via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Apr 10 07:09:51 PDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016, James Saxe via Callers wrote:

> The sort of stuff I'm talking about strikes me as more suited for
> a challenging session at a dance camp/weekend than for a regular
> evening dance--and even more so now than at the time of Ted's visits
> to California 25-30 years ago, on account of the generally lower
> average familiarity of contras dancers with squares.  Indeed, if
> someone were calling at the kind of dance camp/weekend where the
> acceptable number of squares to call is quite limited, I'd hope they'd
> lean towards squares that they were confident they could put across
> without stressing the dancers' readiness to remain cheerful in the
> face of confusion.

Note that the vast majority of MWSD dancers would have even more
difficulty.  I'm at the Queer Contra Dance Camp this weekend, and a *lot*
of us are happily swapping gender roles in the middle of the dance
(including a dance last night that including a Right & Left Grand -- yes,
it was a 4x4).  Contrariwise, relatively few square dancers these days
can manage to dance to the music.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/