[Callers] Dances with One Swing

John Sweeney via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 28 04:27:34 PDT 2015

Rich asked for dances with one or zero swings.  These are some of mine, many
aimed at beginners.

Duck! (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Improper; Double Progression
A1: Neighbour Dosido
      Neighbour Two Hand Turn - open into a circle
A2: Circle Left; Circle Right
B1: Men Dosido
      Ladies Dosido
B2: Balance the Ring; #2s Arch, #1s Duck Through to New Circle
      Balance the New Ring; #2s Arch, #1s Duck Through to face New
Neighbours
Do a quick California Twirl when you reach the end of the line

Finding Your Balance (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Becket (CW)
A1/A2: Four Changes all with Balances - Start Right with Partner and
alternate hands
B1:  Balance the Ring; Men Cross
       Balance the Ring; Ladies Cross
B2:  Half Promenade
       Yearn on the Left Diagonal to New Neighbours

Life is But A Melancholy Flower (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Improper
A1: Neighbour Dosido
     Neighbour two hand Balance & Petronalla Turn for Two (Men now back to
back in the middle)
A2: Take Two Hands with Neighbour:
     All Gallop* Down; All Gallop Up
B1: Start a Neighbour Gypsy; Men leave and Half Left Shoulder Gypsy with
each other
     Partner Swing
B2: Balance the Ring; Petronella Turn
     Balance the Ring; California Twirl
* Americans often say "sashay" - but that word doesn't give the right feel -
I mean gallop!

Rotafl (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Becket (CW)
A1: Yearn on Left Diagonal to a New Couple
     Ladies' Chain
A2:Long Lines Go F & B - Men Roll the Ladies from Right to Left
     Long Lines Go F & B - Ladies Roll the Men from Right to Left
B1: Tapsalteerie Hey:
     Ladies Half Hey, Men Ricochet
     Ladies Ricochet, Men Half Hey
B2: Flutterwheel and sweep the Men in to:
     Men Dosido

Pestchye (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Becket
A1:  Balance the Ring; Petronella
     Balance the Ring; Petronella
A2: Hands Across: Star Left; Star Right - Men Drop Out
B1: Ladies' Chain x 2
B2: Half Promenade
     Yearn to the Left

Dixie Doo-Dah (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Improper
A1: Neighbour Dosido & Swing - finish facing Down
A2: Down the Hall in Lines of Four; Dixie Twirl*
     Up the Hall in Lines of Four; Bend the Line
B1: Balance the Ring; Men Cross
     Balance the Ring; Ladies Cross
B2: Neighbour Two Hand Turn
     Long Lines Go Forward & Back
* Dixie Twirl: No letting go: middle couple arch; end lady leads through the
arch to the other end facing up; end man goes straight across to the other
end facing up.

The Mad Gypsy (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Becket (CW)
A1: Ladies' Chain
     Mad Robin - AC - Ladies through the Middle
A2: Full Hey - Ladies start Right Shoulder
B1: Ladies Gypsy
     Neighbour Two-Hand Turn (or Swing)
B2: Balance the Ring; Ladies Cross
     Yearn on the Left Diagonal

Someone mentioned that they didn't like the term "cross over". Whenever I
use it I mean pass by the right shoulder and turn right to face each other.
I also describe it as "half a gypsy to change places".

I hope you find some of those useful.  Please let me know if you use them or
have any feedback.

Thanks.

Happy dancing,
John