[Callers] Giving Weight

JD Erskine via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jun 24 18:10:37 PDT 2015

I do (mildly) state that it is a lean. However I don't associate bending
at the waist with it, myself or publicly in any demonstration of it. I
will say the two of us in a swing is a bit like a top, a pull string top
or toy, and I show my two hands, wrists near meeting, finger tips up and
apart. Those hands are straight. If I see anyone bending I'll kindly get
them to try it without that.

I also add that we each remain responsible for keeping ourselves upright.

Sometimes, with time available, or if I'm feeling playful I'll suggest
slowly opening one's grasp a wee bit. "Okay, watch their eyes!" <grin>

This is a personal approach I try occasionally, mostly as I'm a bit of
goof and like playing around. However if it appears funny (in a safe
context) it may cement an idea.
[Rigid adults -- Do not try this in your dance community. It's use
depends on your own personality. /caution]
-
I start a intro session much like Kalia does with circles, experienced
connection to the music, arms - with springiness, grasp, life,
connection to each other.

I like the idea of comparing the action again with floppy arms/connection.

I may now cover the allemande immediately after any initial circling, if
I have them with a partner. That or circling again (large or small
circles) just before getting into the allemande.
-
I see Giving Weight as one of the more problematic terms when used in
isolation, or rather with little context. (Another major one is "1s
cross over" -- from some unknown/unnamed spot. A relative directive.
Ugh. I don't use this.)
-
Starting that gallop of a buzz step on the right foot, something I very
recently picked up from this or the Trad Dance Callers list, really
seems to minimise the sideways or backward movement I've seen some do.

Cheers, John
--
J.D. Erskine
Victoria, BC