[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

John Sweeney via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jun 20 02:16:59 PDT 2015

Dale said, "Don't teach advanced techniques to new dancers.  Forget the buzz
step."

Sorry, but I must disagree most strongly.

In an average evening of contra dancing you will spend nearly thirty minutes
swinging (if the dances are in the Modern Urban Contra Dance style rather
than the older styles).

I think it is incredibly unfair to a newcomer to make them suffer for thirty
minutes rather than teach them how to swing.  They can also cause a lot of
suffering to whomever they are swinging with if they have lousy technique.

I would not agree that it is advanced either. I strongly believe that a
couple of minutes teaching the basics of a buzz step swing will give
everyone a much more enjoyable evening.  Some of them won't get it, but for
those that do it can completely change their experience of the evening.

Happy dancing,
John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362
http://www.contrafusion.co.uk for Dancing in Kent