Movements are best described with the minimal syllables possible with minimal  jargon.

"Mad Robin" became part of contra in the last ten years or so.   Unless someone comes up with more succinct and descriptive words, we are probably stuck with "Mad Robin"
Actually now that I think about it, one could describe the Mad Robin action as "side gypsy"

"California twirl"  predates my 1985 introduction to contra.     One could say "twirl to swap," but that is not any more helpful for new dancers.  California twirl is here to stay.

Concerning "petromella"  when I started contra dancing, callers teaching a dance, would almost always say something like "balance and shift one place and spin if you wish as in Petromella"  and would prompt during the dance with "balance and spin" or "balance and shift."    In the mid '80's we actually danced "Petronella" often enough so that most dancers knew from where it came.    Only in the past ten years has some callers started calling the move Petronella.     I will always teach and prompt this without reference to "Petronella" and avoid the unnecessary jargon

There is no compelling reason to stop using gypsy.
Michael Fuerst      802 N Broadway      Urbana IL 61801      217 239 5844
Links to photos of many of my drawings and paintings are at

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:54 PM, Aahz Maruch via Callers <> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015, Michael Fuerst via Callers wrote:
> "Balance and spin" has the same number of syllables as "Petronella"
> and avoids unnecessary jargon

Of course, some of us think that unless there's a compelling reason (as
possibly in the case of "gypsy"), keeping the old terminology is part of
the charm of folk dancing (in the generic sense, as opposed to IFD).

Should we also get rid of "California Twirl" and "Mad Robin"?
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6              
                      <*>          <*>          <*>
Help a hearing-impaired person:

Callers mailing list