[Organizers] Advertising for dance weekends

Jonathan Roveto jonathan.roveto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 05:35:02 PDT 2019

Hi Larry!

Depending on your desired draw (do you think you'll be able to bring in
dancers a plane-ride away?), you may want to also mail a few out to other
large dance communities further away. Also, don't send out too many flyers
honestly; it's a waste of paper to send out more than a couple dozen or so.
Fewer and fewer people are actively taking them (especially given that you
can simply take a picture with your phone). Most generally go right into
the recycling after a few months.

Facebook currently is your best bet for advertising to dancers. Post in out
of town dance groups' Facebook Groups. I would also consider, if you have
some decent graphic design, using sponsored ads on facebook. We use them
and are able to get our weekends on peoples' calendars at a rate of
probably about $.50-$1/event response (our main weekend sees around 300
event responses, most of which translate into actual attendance). This
requires a bit of social media presence in the first place, though (e.g.,
having a Facebook Page for your local dance or weekend) but is to me far
more effective than flyers.

Finally, make sure your site is on http://www.contradancelinks.org. Not a
ton of people use it, but it is free and just requires a quick email to the
webmaster to post. Free and quick is good.

Best,

Jonathan Roveto
Owner/Member
Fair Oaks Holdings, LLC