[Organizers] Contemplating Crooked tunes...

John Sweeney john at modernjive.com
Thu Jun 27 04:08:57 PDT 2019

Hi Rebecca,

              Crooked tunes don't really work well with contras.  If they
want to play crooked tunes all night then you have a real challenge.  If
they will be satisfied with playing one or two crooked tunes then you could
try using dances that work with crooked tunes just for those tunes.

              A good caller can make many square dances fit to anything by
throwing in extra moves and longer swings.  Appalachian/Running Set/Visiting
Squares are good for this as the dances are often crooked themselves. And
Appalachian/Southern Big Set always works with anything.  When I call any of
those type of dances I just tell the band to keep playing anything they like
until the dancers are exhausted.

I have called a Big Set at a number of Contra Dance evenings in America and
it always seems to have gone down well as a bit of fun variety - just one in
an evening though.

But getting your dancers to accept that type of dance may not be easy, and
of course you need a caller who can call that type of dance.

Good luck!

            Happy dancing,

                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802