[Organizers] Tips for a swing workshop

Jerome Grisanti jerome.grisanti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 09:43:50 PDT 2019

When teaching, I ask the ladies to place their left hand on the gent's
shoulder and to support their own arm (i.e., not merely rest her arm on the
gent's arm, but to actively feel her part of the subtle push-me-pull-you
dynamic of the frame).

When I run into a dreaded "clamper," I will in the case of a neighbor try
to ignore the discomfort and enjoy the interaction. In the case of a
partner, I will ask her, for me, to place her hand/arm as I described
above. I make it a point that my request is about my own comfort, and other
men may or may not experience the same discomfort.

*clampers: people who lock down on my arm, in the process typically
restricting my right elbow, with their left arm. This is sometimes
accompanied by a hand gripped tightly around my arm between my bicep and my
shoulder. These things I find uncomfortable (and I presume others do as
well).

I occasionally have someone who rests a lost of weight on my arm, in which
case (if I choose to say anything), I again make it about me and my bodily
limitations and comfort. I am currently strong and healthy, and can support
a certain amount of weight and/or sloppy dancing, but I don't wish to
encourage it.

--Jerome

Jerome Grisanti
660-528-0858
http://www.jeromegrisanti.com

"Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power
and magic in it." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe