[Organizers] Youth on your organizing boards/committees?

Jonathan Roveto jonathan.roveto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:33:10 PST 2019

As a youngin'-ish on the CCD (Atlanta, GA) board, I am happy to provide my
2 cents to this. I personally joined our board for special reasons not
necessarily applicable to this discussion, but I think in normal
circumstances, a great way to get younger people onto your board is to
convey that this is *Leadership Experience*. That's an important term to a
lot of younger individuals that might want to beef up their resumes or
college applications. It's generally somewhat hard to get into leadership
positions as a late teen/early 20s individual, and contra organizations are
great for this in my opinion.

In my opinion, that's how one should sell it. I don't like the idea of
things like "Youth positions" on a board because it could be construed as
saying you're valued for your age, as opposed to your ideas/commitment to
the community (similarly to if one said your board had "Woman positions",
"Hispanic positions", etc.). You want diversity, and younger people want
experiences that set them apart in life. It's a good combination by itself
I think.

Best,

Jonathan Roveto
Owner/Member