[Organizers] Transition to ungendered dances

Read Weaver rweaver at igc.org
Sat Aug 10 06:35:24 PDT 2019

On whether gender-free terminology is simply code for gender—I started doing country dance in the early ‘80s with the Gay and Lesbian Folk Dance in Boston, which always included a fair amount of English country dance and often some contra, both using global terminology. At my first conventional ECD, I remember thinking “Oh, this is about men and women!” Yes, of course, if you’ve danced for years hearing “gents and ladies,” when you first hear “larks and ravens” you’re going to do the translation, but for folks new to it, there’s no translation to be made.

Reactions to a one-off GF evening will always be negative. When the Boston Gender-Free Contra Dance first tried “larks and ravens” after 25 years of “bands and bare-arms,” the reaction was mostly negative. Inference from that about whether GF calling will work at a dance over time won’t be accurate.

Read Weaver
Jamaica Plain, MA
http://lcfd.org