[Organizers] Transition to ungendered dances

Heitzso heitzso at growthmodels.com
Fri Aug 9 09:56:19 PDT 2019

Just want to thank everyone for working through this and providing
information on your transitions to this listserv.
Our dance is in Gainesville, Georgia.
We haven't transitioned to gender neutral terminology.
On the other hand, our dancers are moderately comfortable dancing
different roles.
For instance, it's not uncommon for us to have two male high school
students dancing together.
However, we're not as fluid as, say, what I've seen at ContraCopia in
Philly.
I've recently been offering the option of calling some larks and ravens
to our callers but the environment/mix wasn't right for them to jump in
(their choice).
I know that this evening, in Atlanta, Seth Tepfer will intentionally
call role-less dances (no reference to gents/ladies/larks/whatever).
Band in Atlanta for that is Playing with Fyre with David Digiuseppe
joining in on accordian.
So good weekend grade music.
(They're playing for our Gainesville, GA, dance tomorrow evening w/
Charlotte Crittenden calling. Shameless plug if anyone is in the area.)

That's an approach (role-less calling) that Beth Molaro has been trying
out lately.

Sincerely,
Heitzso